Kragujevac is the fourth largest city of Serbia and the administrative center of the Šumadija District in central Serbia. The city was first mentioned in 1476 as a small settlement with 32 houses. Kragujevac was built on the banks of the Lepenica river, on the slopes of the Rudnik, Crni Vrh and Gledic mountains. The many waterways played a significant role in the decision to found the settlement here. The Lepenica river flows through the town center. Kragujevac was the first capital of modern Serbia (1818–1841). The city’s first grammar school (one of the most monumental school buildings built in Serbia in 19th century) and printworks were both established in 1833, followed by the professional National theatre 1835, Military academy 1837 and the first full-fledged university in the newly independent Serbia 1838. One of the important buildings is the Old Church – built in 1818 by Prince Milos Obrenović. The church is dedicated to the Descent of The Holy Spirit on Apostles. The first bell from this church rang in 1829. The old church was first bishop’s cathedral and court chapel in liberated Serbia. In the churchyard, almost all important decisions for the Serbian people were proclaimed. The First Serbian Constitution was adopted there in 1835. We will also see Prince Mihailo’s Palace, City’s Market Building and City Hall.
Some 5km from the city is “October in Kragujevac” or “Šumarice” Memorial Park. Memorial park is founded in 1953 on the spot where in October 1941 during Second World War more than 3.000 man and boys from the town between the ages of twelve and sixty-five were executed. Monuments within the park include the monument to the murdered schoolchildren and their teachers – the “Interrupted Flight” monument, the “Monument of pain and defiance”, the “One hundred for one” monument, the “Resistance and Freedom” monument, and the monument to shoe cleaners. The 21 October Museum is also located in the Park.
Transfer back to Belgrade.
Duration: 7 – 8 hours